* * *

* * *

Pages

7.3.13

NYC: Day 1 (from an apartment in Bushwick)

Well, we arrived in NYC yesterday with the intention of spending an entire month exploring the musical side of this vast city. Admittedly, I had a little bit of anxiety thinking about being surrounded by millions of people with virtually no personal space or peace and quiet for this whole time. . . But despite the fact that we're staying with four friends in a small 3 bedroom apartment in an "up and coming" part of Brooklyn, sleeping on an air mattress that turned out to have several holes in it (which I'm blaming for the bags under my eyes), I am less anxious and more excited now that we're here! It's funny how being in NYC has always had this affect on me. It's exhausting and overwhelming and dirty and crowded but somehow you just accept that and let it inspire. So that's what I'm going to do every day that we're here- walk around the various neighborhoods with my eyes wide open, trying to take in as much of it as I can (despite the wintry mix of snow and rain and viscous wind happening outside right now!).
After the last two months of taking it relatively easy in Atlanta, surrounded by family and fair weather, this is a pretty big change. I can't believe how fast that time flew by! I was so busy, I didn't even have time to blog (ok, I could have found the time, but there was cable at mom and dad's house).
Josh, however, did find some time to write- you can check out his interpretation of our Southern adventures here. And I was able to spend a good deal of time thrifting, and working on my Etsy site!
This marks 6 months since we gave up our apartment in Madison and hit the road. And it will probably be another 6-8 months before we "settle down" again. For the most part it's been really great- for Josh's career, for our relationship, for my restless spirit and for the lasting impact it will have on us for the rest of our lives. Every day is different and that is amazing. So tonight we will head out into the gray, cold snowy fog and see if we can find some art and music (I hear these things are abundant here)!

And now for a moment of zen that has nothing to do with NYC in early March....
kayaking in Charleston in January
 



For more photos from the road check out our Flickr album. And to see where Josh is playing this month, check out the tour page!

XO,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment